· She/he is required to develop additional clinical skills pertinent to the specialty. They will be expected to coordinate the hospital wide infection and prevention control program to ensure effective measures are developed, implemented and maintained to identify, prevent and control infections acquired in the hospital or brought into the hospital from the community. Included is the development and implementation of programs to identify, track and trend any organization wide issues that could put patients, visitors, hospital and medical staff at risk.
· The post holder is responsible for providing leadership and direction for all staff in relation to infection prevention and control initiatives. She/he is expected to participate in appropriate education and research requirements.
· Provides consulting services for all hospital departments regarding infection prevention and control issues
· Assists in the identification, development of action plan, implementation and evaluation of infection prevention and control measures in coordination with hospital departments.
· Communicates in an effective, clear manner with all hospital departments and members of the medical staff to identify and resolve potential and existing infection prevention and control concerns.
· Develops and conducts ongoing health care surveillance throughout the organization, identifying risk factors and trends. Works with departmental leadership on the correction of issues identified. Conducts epidemiological investigations as needed. Participates in environmental surveillance rounds.
· Provides ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of the hospital infection prevention and control program. Prepares and presents an annual assessment of the infection prevention and control program when required. Designs, prepares and presents plans as appropriate.
· Prepares and reports quarterly to the concerned committee measurements, assessments and improvements based upon the statistical data obtained from infection prevention and control activities.
· Maintains and updates organization wide policies and procedures regarding infection prevention and control. Coordinates the updating as needed, reviews and approves all department specific policies and procedures for content and appropriateness. Presents to the appropriate committee for approval.
· Maintains knowledge of current medical (includes CDC) regulatory and scientific procedures and literature related to infection prevention and control.
· Meets regulatory and accreditation requirements, including but not limited to JCI and Accreditation Canada.
· Presents information on infection prevention, control and employee health issues in the hospital, nursing orientation and in departments.
· Develops and presents educational programs to all hospital departments that provide direct patient care to increase awareness of the specific infection risks in their area.
· Plans, evaluates and revises the infection prevention and control system as needed. Provides educational programs to hospital staff regarding infection prevention and control.
· Effectively develops an organizational culture conducive to the establishment and maintenance of good infection prevention control practices.
· Promotes a learning environment that both encourages and facilitates staff education in the area of infection prevention and control.